Thursday, March 5, 2015

I Couldn't Live Without...

Last week was probably one of my more challenging weeks as a stay at home mom. While I wouldn't really say that I'm an extrovert, I do still thrive on getting out of the house, doing something different, providing something new and engaging for Christian...at LEAST once a week.

Well, last week, despite having plans to get out of the house for 3 out of the 5 weekdays, we ended up being on "house arrest" for 4 out of those 5 days.

Getting out of the house is often just as much for me to have contact with other grown humans and make me feel normal as it is about keeping Christian entertained and out of trouble. Let's be honest, stimulating a toddler and keeping him busy outside of the house is just easier some days than it is at home. Don't get me wrong, I love being a SAHM, but getting out of the house is somewhat a necessity...especially in the winter. We love our lazy days at home, too, but not every day. It often takes a lot more planning and prep on my part if we are home. {Check out my pinterest boards!}

During the summer we get out and do things, but it isn't as much of a necessity. We can just be outside which makes us feel less couped up -- going for a walk, playing at the park, doing chalk, blowing bubbles, playing in the pool and the water table, the list of outside fun goes on and on and hello {fresh air}.

You might be thinking well, hello, go outside now. Well, when its below zero outside in Minnesota and you have a toddler to get dressed, it's going to take you longer to both get dressed than the amount of time you can safely spend outside. Not to mention the tantrum that usually results from both getting dressed {mittens are the death of my toddler I swear} and then coming back inside. Not necessarily worth it...at least we hadn't reached that point yet!

Anyway, the whole reason we couldn't get out of the house, was because our car had something wrong with it. Luckily my hubby can usually be fairly handy when it comes to fixing our cars. However, he does still work a day job after all so it isn't exactly the speediest process.  After plenty of long days and extra time spent in the garage, it was determined that the car had something bigger going on...likely involving tearing apart the engine. So on Friday morning, Christian and I drove Jim to work and dropped our SUV off at the shop. But because we drove him to work, we got to have the car for the day! We had tons of fun after being stuck inside!!

Mommy Christian Breakfast date at Panera.


Watching airplanes. 


Visiting the zoo. 


Conked out from an active and busy morning. 


Afternoon snuggles! 



And now this week, we have a car again and I am realizing just how much I rely on that car, even though I'm not working outside of the home.

I so can't live without my car. 

#firstworldproblems... 

What couldn't you have lived without this week?

11 comments :

  1. I hear you girl, it is so frustrating (and such a first world problem) when my car isn't working properly. I do miss having public transportation as a back up when something is wrong with my car, it was so nice to hop on the metro when we lived in Alexandria. I hope everything is ok with your car and that it doesn't cost too much money. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! Yes! And we live far enough out in the suburbs that there is no public transportation. I used to work as an Employment Counselor and couldn't believe when people didn't have transportation. Just a week without it and I so can't imagine! Luckily it didn't take long to fix once we got it in...and only about $600 for an engine problem!

      Delete
  2. Good one!! Never thought of that. Such a pain when they need work. Hope it's an easy fix. Such sweet photos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Definitely not as big of a "problem" in the summer! But not in 30 below winter weather ha ha My father in law said, "Don't you have a bike?" ha ha!! Silly man!

      Delete
  3. What sweet pictures: he is a cutie! My husband and I just recently made the switch to being a one-car family, and we LOVE it. He's a pastor and I work part-time with him as his assistant and part-time at another company. Our town is super small, so it is easy to drop one another off if needed. We tease that our car is like our "baby", ha! But indeed, #firstworldproblems.

    Visiting from "...for Lauren and Lauren"
    Chrissy @ Everyday with the Jays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Being a "one car family" is definitely doable! I should have lived that week with that mentality ha ha instead of just one day :)

      Delete
  4. What a cutie!! I'm the opposite - I am perfectly happy to stay inside 4 days a week and then make myself do something with Rebekah out and about one day of the week :) I'm excited for summer when we can go to our local park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I'm generally a homebody, but when it comes to keeping my son out of trouble some days its easier to have him make a mess somewhere else and leave it when we go home ha ha Can't wait for trips to the park this summer too :)

      Delete
  5. I am not an extrovert either but staying home all day with a toddler is SO hard!!! we've done many trips to panera or dunkin donuts just to get out of the house!! thanks for linking up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could leave Target without spending a ton of money I would so go walk around Target just for something to do :) But I would buy ALL the things. and toys. We love toys and this mama can't say no ha ha ha! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

09 10