Friday, December 19, 2014

Changing my {Wishes} into {Gratitude}

It's crazy to me to think how it has become a "tradition" of sorts to rush out and buy more the day after {and now even the day of!!} the day we spend being thankful for all that we have.

We do live in a "more is better" society and are daily bombarded with messages that "we need more", "we aren't enough", "we'll be better once we have ______, be ______" the messages go on and on.

It is these messages that drive our need, our desire even, to rush out on Black Friday to score the big deals so that we can meet these wishes for ourselves, but our kids as well. And in that, I believe that we are only teaching our kids that these messages are true.

Let me tell you --- These messages are NOT true.

You have everything that you need. 

You ARE enough. 

Having more will not make you be a better person, a better employee, a better friend, mother, wife, etc.

Now, I realize that there are families and children and individuals out there who don't have everything that they need. But I also am confident in saying that those who have found themselves in that situation, are NOT the ones rushing out to buy more. They are the ones hoping and praying that they will just have food to put on the table, clothes for their children and a present to give them on Christmas morning. They are not wanting more to feel that they are enough. They are wanting more to simply survive.

If you are rushing out to get presents for those who are in need, then please, rush away! But if that's not your reason for looking for good deals, then join me in this little exercise I'm about to share with you, I know I need to do it! I will be the first to admit that I easily fall into believing these lies and I'm speaking to myself right now.

In a recent message at church, our pastor shared about the story of Mary and Martha in the Bible (Luke 10:38-42).  I've always related so much to this story, especially to Martha. If you aren't familiar with the story-- Jesus is at the home of Mary and Martha. Martha is rushing around making dinner and getting the home ready and busying herself with details, while Mary is sitting at the feet of Jesus. Martha complains to Jesus that Mary isn't helping her, but Jesus tells Martha that Mary has chosen what is better.

So instead of rushing around to make the details of our holiday celebrations perfect, will you join me in changing those "wishes" of wanting more and seeking "perfection" into feelings gratitude as we sit at the feet of Jesus this holiday season, remembering that HE is the reason for the season?

It's not about the decorations, the cookies, the perfectly coordinated (or not even close to matching) Christmas outfits. Its about the birthday of our Savior. The man who came to us as a baby in a manger, meeting us all in the dirtiest and lowliest of places. The man who would one day grow to bear all of our sins and die on a cross for us -- for me -- for YOU.

When we see the holiday season through that perspective, I really do believe that it is not hard at all to want less instead of more and to be thankful for what we have, instead of rushing out to get more.

Changing My Wishes Into Gratitude 
Here are some of my "wishes" and how I have changed them into statements of gratitude. Would you join me in doing the same?

I wish my floors were spotless and free of crumbs
 --->> I am thankful for the little person that brings life to our home and crumbs to our floors. I am also thankful for the food that is in our cupboards and our refridgerator in abundance that has allowed those crumbs to clutter our floors. 

I wish we had a Christmas tree that looked like it was straight out of the department stores.
--->> I am thankful for the Christmas tree that brings light and joy to our home, with ornaments that are not breakable so my little man can touch and play with them and I can experience the joy on his face as he sees the tree light up and hangs the ornaments on new branches. 

I wish I had the perfect outfit for every occasion, especially at Christmas time.
-->> I am thankful for the full closet of clothes that I own and the many accessories as well....even if I'm not so good at actually "accessorizing or coming up with outfits ha ha I'm also thankful for the hot water we have to shower and the products I can use to get myself ready within the comfort of my own home

I wish I could make sugar cookies that actually look like the cutout shape they start out as before I bake them...
--->> I am thankful for little children who don't know the difference between a good looking cookie and a blob and just appreciate that they taste good :) I'm also thankful for a working oven to bake cookies, ingredients to make them, and friends to decorate them with! 

I wish our house were bigger (more bedrooms and a guest room)
--->> I'm thankful that I can clean our house in about an hour flat top to bottom! I'm thankful that our family is flexible when they visit and will sleep on air mattresses or the couch. I'm thankful for the cozy space that our home offers for us to host our small group and the giant room downstairs where the kids are all able to play both at small group and for play dates. I'm also thankful for the paint that is slowly but surely making this little home perfectly ours :) And I'm straight up thankful to even own a home! 

Through Jesus Christ, I am enough. It doesn't matter what clothes I wear, what my house looks like, how clean my floors are, how many presents we gift, what our Christmas tree looks like or what outfits we wear to holiday celebrations this year.

I can only imagine the ache of Mary's heart as she also joyfully looked at her newborn babe laying in that manger. The ache of only providing a manger for his bed, but also the ache as the fullness of who he would become became more clear to her. I can't imagine knowing that your child is born to die, yet he was without sin.

I pray that our hearts would ache to know Jesus more this season, instead of knowing the mall more or a tree full of presents.


What wishes do you have that can be changed to statements of gratitude? Share in the comments and lets encourage each other this Christmas! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

09 10