Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Thankful Project Day 18: A Choice.


Welcome to day 18 of The Thankful Project. Today's prompt is: A Choice. To learn more about The Thankful Project, find the list of prompts and join in the fun, click {here}.

I'm linking up with Kenzie at Chasing Happy for this post. 

Actually, this is yesterday's prompt...I'm a day late. But if you remember right, I said I wouldn't be posting every day, so I guess this is when you're getting it!

Choices.

Do you like them?

It seems the older I get, the more choices I have to make. Making choices is not something I'm necessarily thankful for as I'm SUPER indecisive!! But one choice that I've made and I'm so thankful that I did, is the choice to be part of Christian Community.

When my husband and I first joined our church, we were only dating. We were young {actually we still are young} and wanted to be a part of a couples group. Unfortunately Fortunately enough for us, our church didn't have a young couples group. I say "fortunately" because this meant we got to start our own group! Since we were only dating, it seemed weird for us to join a couples group of seasoned married people. Looking back, I know they would have been great mentors for us, but I'm so glad that we decided to form our own group.

God really has formed this group and we are so lucky to be part of it!

It's been just over 2 years now since we decided to start our own group and it's been a long journey. Actually, it took several months from the time we decided to "start" our group for dating, engaged, and newlywed couples before we even had a group! Being that we were only dating, we didn't fit into a lot of the couples that were looking to join groups. Instead of forming our own group, we actually formed 2 other groups first! Neither of which we were invited to be part of...sheesh! *all part of God's plan*

Finally, in January 2011, we had our first small group! We hosted it at Jim's house and were so nervous that no one would show up! We actually only were meeting with 2 other couples at the time...both were just dating. Eventually a married couple joined our group, Jim and I got engaged, one of the other couples got engaged, and another couple broke up. Over the past 2 years, though, our group has really grown and changed.

I am so blessed by them! 

We now have 6 couples {that's a total of 12 people!!} with 2 more prospective couples joining! I can't even put into words the blessing that this has been for us. It means so much to have couple friends who are in the same season of life and who love the Lord. It's also been really fun to all "grow" together. We are not only learning more about God and each other, but we are also growing through seasons. Jim and I are now married with a baby, another couple just celebrated their one year wedding anniversary, 2 other couples just welcomed little ones, and we hope to soon see another couple get engaged...soon :)

These people have become our best friends.

They are the people we hang out with on the weekends.

The people we share our joys and our hurts and concerns with so they can lift us up in prayer.

The people we talk about our kids with and learn about parenting with.

The people we laugh with and learn about God from.

We do life together.
And that is what I think God designed community to be. 

Acts 2:42
"All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord's Supper), and to prayer."

I thank God every day for providing us with this amazing community.

What choice are you thankful for? Are you thankful for choices? Are you part of a "community"? If not, I highly recommend you find your people! 
Don't be afraid to step out. I know you will be glad you did! 

And now it occurs to me that we don't even have a group picture! We need to make that happen! 

2 comments :

  1. It is so wonderful to have Christian friends in the same stage of life! Thank you Lord!

    ReplyDelete

09 10