Tuesday, October 15, 2013

My 10 Tips for Flying with a Baby

Let me start by saying this: 

Flying with a baby is MUCH easier than you might think! 

Christian was 3 1/2 months old when he flew for the first time. I was nervous, but not nervous enough that I was scavenging the internet looking for every single tip around. Mainly that's because I take the approach of less information is better. It stresses me out less. 

I didn't want to know all the possible negative scenarios and how to prepare for them. 

I just wanted the basics. 

And I wanted a stress free mama and a happy baby. 

After 2 flights to New York and 2 flights back home to Minnesota, I can safely say that goal was achieved. 

Here are my top tips to make that happen for you: 
(we flew with "infant in arms" so these suggestions are based off this experience) 

1. Get an early morning flight. 
If your baby is not a happy camper when he is woke up in the middle of sleeping, this may not be the tip for you. But if it doesn't seem to bother your baby (like it doesn't bother Christian), then I think this is ideal! Christian was awake all through security but as soon as we got on the plane and I fed him, he slept the entire flight! He also slept for the majority of the evening flight on our way back home but I think this was more because he was so exhausted from our very busy trip! And evenings generally are a baby's fussy time. 



2. Pack EXTRA extra outfits.
I usually keep 1-2 extra outfits in my diaper bag at all times. Depending on the length of your flight and travels, I would recommend packing extra...just so you don't have to worry. Before our first flight even took off, Christian had already pooped twice! And during our first layover he pooped again...and it leaked. This meant I was already down one outfit and we still had an entire flight to go. I was a little nervous. 

3. Don't be afraid to change a diaper in your seat. 
With all of the pooping going on, we had a lot of diapers to change. And with take off also happening, we were confined to our seat. Christian is not a happy camper when he is poopy and we knew this about him, so as soon as we felt that poop fill his diaper we were changing him! No waiting for the seat belt sign to go off to go to the bathroom. We did it right in our seat...which may have lead to the leak we experienced...but we had a happy baby! 

4. Have something for baby to suck.
I'm not sure why I'm including this in my tips, because honestly, I'm not sure I buy this at all.  They say that babies need something to suck to make them swallow to pop their ears and keep them from crying. Well, either its not true, my baby is just not super sensitive to this, or he is a genius and can know when to swallow and pop his ears. But during the first flight I really wasn't sure when to feed him to make his ears pop. So I just did it when my ears seemed to be popping. Then on the second flight he was so hungry before we took off that I just fed him right away. And he fell asleep and was out cold. I decided not to wake him and guess what? No problems! We did have a binky that we would sometimes pop in...so maybe that helped. So I would just say be prepared to do this. But don't stress about it either. If your baby is hungry earlier, feed him! And if you're afraid he is going to cry and needs help swallowing to pop his ears, feed him even if it hasn't been that long since he last ate. Christian ate TONS during our flights! ha ha 

5. Check ALL of your luggage. 
We checked all of our bags (minus 1 carry on and the diaper bag) so all we had to worry about was the baby, stroller, and car seat and the 2 bags. Super easy and fairly hassle free. However, getting the carry on into the overhead compartment took a little more planning. Next time we fly, we plan to check everything. Also, if you are flying with a pump, it needs to be in your checked baggage...at least that will help you avoid any hassle in security. 

6. Gate check your stroller and car seat. For FREE. And be ready to board early. 
Know that you can do this. And do it! When you go through security your baby has to be out so having him in a carrier may not be the most convenient. However, I'm not saying to leave the carrier at home (see below). 

7. Bring toys (and snacks if he's eating).
If your baby is old enough, he may need some entertainment. Especially if he doesn't sleep. You also are allowed to bring food for your child so don't be afraid to bring snacks! 

8. Throw baby's "schedule" out the window. 
Let your baby do whatever he or she wants to do. Then make any attempts to adjust back to their schedule once you've landed and have gotten settled. 

9. Use a carrier and bring something for you to do too. 
Christian just won't sleep in the moby wrap. We did bring it and tried it on the plane, but he was tired and wouldn't sleep so out he went. If you have a littler baby, this would have been ideal to have them in. But if you have a carrier like the Ergo Carrier (I've heard GREAT things) and your baby will sleep in it, you will want it! My arms got pretty sore holding baby boy the entire flight. And if you have baby in a carrier you can do something too, like read a magazine! So maybe toss something for yourself in the diaper bag too. 


10. RELAX and enjoy the ride :) Maybe even ask the pilot to sign your ticket and save it for a keepsake! 
Enough said. 

*These are my tips and what I will do when we fly again in November, but you know your baby best. So trust yourself and do what you know is best for your baby* 

And if you're feeling really ambitious, Lindsay at Pursuit of Pink made these really cute goodie bags for all the passengers sitting around her and baby. You could make them too!  

Happy Travels! 

Do you have any tips for flying with a baby? What makes your flights with a little one go the smoothest? 



No comments :

Post a Comment

09 10