Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Tummy Time Tips From Christian!

Tummy Time is one of those dreaded activities for babies. Some love it and still others hate it. 

This is Christian the day after he was born...already enjoying tummy time! 


I use the word "enjoy" loosely, because while he would be happy on his tummy, it usually wouldn't last long. But I knew that tummy time was important and so we would try to build it in to our days, although, in a lot of ways, most babies are getting "tummy time" without their mommies and daddies really knowing it! 

Christian wanted to share some of his favorite ways to have tummy time: 

1. While getting burped. 
Being up on a shoulder or sitting up to get burped takes work too! I have to hold my head just as much, so this is tummy time too. Don't worry if I don't like tummy time on the floor, mom and dad, because I'm sure I get burped plenty each day too :) 



2. On Daddy's Chest 
For the longest time, this was my favorite form of tummy time! I wouldn't always lift my head, and if I did it wouldn't really be for long because then I would snooze in this warm and cozy spot! 



 3. On the Floor 
I wasn't a major fan of this way, but every now and then it was a nice change. Eventually, as I got stronger, this way became a lot more fun! But don't forget to entertain me while I'm doing it. Got it, mom and dad? 


Also, stacking my hands helps me support myself more once I am bigger. Keeps me happy longer :) 


Fun toys like this one are great too! 


4. On the Boppy 
Mom, if you're trying to decide if you really want a boppy as one of your breastfeeding essentials, you do :) I often wouldn't be happy on the floor for long, but prop me up on the boppy and I would be all smiles! 




And don't forget, I still like to be entertained on the boppy! Something to look at keeps me holding my head up high. 


5. Sitting in the bumbo seat. 
Once my neck is starting to get strong and I'm able to hold my head up a bit, sitting in the bumbo seat is lots of fun! Plus, while I'm still a little shorter the back of the seat helps support my head a bit too. I can sit here and hold my head, and you can read me stories or do finger plays. I'll love it! 


6. Sitting in your lap 
As I get even stronger, you can just help support me and I'll sit up! In your lap, on the floor, wherever! Just hold on to me real tight :) I love when I can sit like this with new friends! 


7. The Lap/Floor Head Lift Game 
Sit me propped up on your legs like in the picture below and holding my arms, slowly lift me forward keep my butt sitting in your lap. Eventually I'll be strong enough to go all the way to standing too. And if my head falls back too far, wait for me to get stronger. This one is especially fun because I can see your face as I move closer to you! Doing this all the way from laying flat on the floor is good too! Or even from resting in my boppy.  


8. On the Play Mat
I love the new perspective and seeing my dangling toys so it gives me motivation to keep that head held up strong! 




9. Standing up
As my legs get stronger, standing is lots of fun too! And then I'm in full control of my head! 


10. Airplane! 
This is probably my FAVORITE type of tummy time now! Mommy hasn't been able to take a picture, but she lays on her back with her knees pulled in to her chest and I lay on the front of her calves. She rocks back and forth and I "fly"! And giggle, and giggle, and giggle! It's so much fun! 

HAPPY TUMMY TIME! 

What are your favorite ways to have tummy time? Does your little one like it? 




No comments :

Post a Comment

09 10