Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I AM A CAPABLE PARENT TOO.

Dads don't get enough credit. Here's some thoughts from the best dad I know, my hubby! 

Definition of a Rant from Urban Dictionary:
To speak aggressively about something, or to take on your own tangent about a subject and talk for a long time about it in a passionate manner.

I just want to be crystal clear on what this post is about.  This is dedicated to everyone.  If you are questioning if this post applies to you.. guess what it probably does!!!

I work my butt off for my family.  I am the main breadwinner in our family not because that is the only thing I am capable of doing, it’s because it’s the right choice for my family.  Just because I am not home all day with my son like my wife is, and I don’t have breasts (or breastmilk!), doesn't me I am not a capable parent. 

I am a dad, and I AM A CAPABLE PARENT.

It’s not the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s or even 00’s anymore.  This isn't your old school generation. 

If my baby boy is crying… I’m a capable parent, believe it or not, I can calm him down!
If my baby boy is fussing… I’m a capable parent, believe it or not, I can calm him down!
If my baby boy needs a new diaper… WOW I’m a capable parent, I can do that!
If my baby boy is hungry… I know how to hold a bottle, WOW I’m a capable parent!
If my baby boy is in an unsafe position or is in danger… WOW I’m a capable parent I can recognize that!

Please STOP saying ‘I think he needs Mommy’, ‘I think he wants Mommy’, ‘Here is Mommy’.

Don’t get me wrong, I have an amazing wife!  She is an ‘uber mommy’ that can handle any situation that comes her way.  I am so incredibly proud of her and thankful that she is my partner in life and the momma to my baby boy.  

But please, watch what you say… don’t demean me, especially in front of my wife, let alone my baby boy.  I’d love a little encouragement and support, but don’t assume I am not capable.

Even if you can’t embrace that a dad can be a truly capable parent, that’s ok, because this rant isn't for you.  It’s for me.  It will be a reminder to me of the type of parent I am, and always will want to be These will be the values and sense of responsibility I will pass onto my son.


The end.


No comments :

Post a Comment

09 10